Thursday, August 15, 2013

Old Cars - Fast Sketches - Slow Pants

It's been a little over two months since I decided to share the little blue sketchbook that was never meant for sharing.  These are the last pages completed prior to that post on June 4.  It may help to go back for a moment to refresh your memory.  I did.  I have to remind myself of little promises and grandiose statements, so I will actually follow through on at least a few of them.

So, back on that small town street, sketching old cars and trucks.  After the initial curiosity, the group would watch my scratching now and then, but they mostly observed the cars.  I continued to stop occasionally and sketch a few minutes before moving on down the street.


I'm growing accustomed to the wonkiness of pen sketching.  It's all out of whack, but has a certain character.

The water tower below is a direct result of one of the guys instructing me to "Quick, draw that water tower!"  So I did - real quick.  All of these sketches were done in a few minutes - five at best.  I'm not comfortable or brave enough yet to stop and sketch longer.  Too much attention and I don't want to hold back my companions that much.


The sketch on the right of the King Midget was going relatively well until the owner decided he should sit in the driver seat as I drew.  I wanted to say, um, can you move please?  But, again, not that brave and it was his car after all.  I just tried, unsuccessfully, to add him.  I courteously showed him the drawing and laughed.  "Very quick" I said.  He looked perplexed.  I moved on.


This sketch was all about the dice on the mirror.  Initially, that was all I wanted to put down on paper.  I have a hard time leaving things out.

Since the car sketching day, I've nearly filled the little blue sketchbook.  Some decent drawings, some awful and a few memorable quotes.  I'll share a few at some point - perhaps the combine sketch or the ones of Milo sprawled out on his back.

In the meantime, still in frozen mode.  I haven't done anything artsy for about a week and we can't have that!  I began reading Juliette Aristides book "Lessons in Classical Drawing."  The pages with the actual lessons are coming up soon and I can feel them anticipating my arrival.  Criminy.  Gotta' get over this ridiculous must-be-perfect thing already.  A few other kick-in-the-pants events are possibly coming soon.  I'll be back in a few days to let you know if there's a boot print on my jeans.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...