Friday, September 6, 2013

Failure is not Fatal

Tuesday night I found my pottery wheel mojo again.  It was more elusive Thursday.  The following two Winston Churchill quotes are stuck in my head.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal.  It's the courage to continue that counts."

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."

I know he was definitely not referring to clay pots, but these wise words apply to my pottery throwing experience thus far...  Ugh - that's awful.  Yay - it's working.  Oh no - it's collapsing!  Ah - how lovely.  Bleh - not so much.  You get the picture.

I plan to sketch my pots and post the drawings, but haven't had the nerve to sit in a wide open classroom and whip out the sketchbook & pencil.  I'll get there - hopefully.  In the meantime, it's been awhile since I shared actual sketches, so here you go.


The garden sketch that resulted from my daughter's inspiration.  Cretacolor graphite pencils in my pocket Moleskine.


If the muses are failing, draw your feet.  It's kind of a mantra.  This is the first page in the Hand·Book sketchbook.  It is tucked away now until I finish the three other sketchbooks in progress, but I had to try it out with the new pencils first.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...