Thursday, March 14, 2013

Just Add Water

I love perusing art blogs and admiring techniques.  However, I am simultaneously inspired and discouraged by the gazillion mega-talented artists out there (past and present).  I'm trying, not often succeeding, but trying, to not put "real" artists on a pedestal.  Well, they deserve a pedestal I think, but maybe not up there eye-to-eye with Lady Liberty.

If I had my druthers, I'd be an instant master artist... *poof* ...just like that.  Heck with practice, persistence & patience!  I want to do it all right now and be an expert by tomorrow - at all of it.

I want to:
  draw like Leonardo da Vinci or maybe like Dirk Dzimrsky.
  watercolor like Steve Hanks or Viktoria Prischedko.
  bring oils alive like Kristina Havens or John Singer Sargent.
  wield color pencils like Holly Bedrosian.
  create fun and fabulous illustrations like Mattias Adolfsson or Andrea Joseph.
  fill fantastic art journals like Brenda Swensen or Joanne Sharpe.
  bravely alter books or maps like Kristy Patterson and Claire Brewster.
  do simple daily sketches like Elizabeth Perry.
  produce whimsical pages like Lori Vliegen.  (By the way, I bought that little book, which is actually meant for kids, just so I could play too.)

I could go on and on and on - acrylics, pastel, sculpture (wood, clay, metal), calligraphy, charcoal, pottery...

See?  So much to admire, so many intriguing options - so little time.  Somewhere in my brain, the aspiring artist has now picked up the bullhorn... "Ma'am, please step away from the pedestal!"  Okay - back to the sketchbook.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...