Friday, May 17, 2013

Growing My Own Branch

After reading "Steal Like an Artist" by Austin Kleon, I am now on a secondary mission - collect artsy fartsy books.  Let me clarify...

Steal Like an Artist and my current read, "The Art Spirit," recommend studying the great art masters as well as more modern artists you admire.  Research your favorites first and then their mentors and then the mentors of their mentors.  Kleon calls this your creative lineage - climbing up your (artistic) family tree.  That's ridiculously clever and I love it!  Study each of them intently, copy them (strictly as practice - as study of technique) and keep climbing until you have a conglomerate of "teachers" helping you improve and define your talent and style.

I've started out with Edgar Degas, Edward Hopper and John Singer Sargent.  There are a bazillion, or at least a few dozen, more I want to research.  I should start with just one, but it was simply too difficult to just pick one.

Our library is great.  However, it has a finite art book collection and I'm spending enough on my art tools.  Soooo, if any family or nearby friends happen to read this particular post, keep your eyes peeled for cheap or free books about any artist who draws, paints or sculpts in a semi-realistic to realistic style.  Also art instruction books - figure drawing and such.  I bookmarked a list of recommended older art instruction books that I will be keeping an eye out for.  If you ever notice an artsy book for a quarter at a garage sale, grab it.  I'll reimburse you, take it home & decide if it's worth space on my shelf.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...